Energy firms, investors rally behind EU CO2 market fix
Thirty firms and organisations, including energy companies Shell, E.On and EdF, wrote to MEPs, ministers and member state officials on Thursday urging them to support the EU Commission’s so-called backloading plan in a key vote on Feb. 19.
“The EU has an opportunity to stimulate our own economy through the development of new, and low carbon, industries while at the same time continuing to show global leadership on climate change issues. However, policy makers must act now to support the ETS,” the letter dated Feb. 14 said.
Separately, the Institutional Investors Group on Climate Change (IIGC), which represents almost 100 investment managers with 7.5 trillion euros under management, has written to the same lawmakers urging them to back the plan.
The plan would allow the EU Commission to postpone the sale of up to 900 million permits to prop up carbon prices trading at around 5 euros.
Stephanie Pfeifer, executive director of the IIGC, said: “The collapse of the carbon price and the direction of EU energy policy are creating uncertainty amongst investors concerned by climate change and weakening the case for investment in Europe’s low-carbon sector.
MEPs will vote on the plan in the European Parliament’s environment committee on Tuesday Feb. 19 before sending to the Council of Ministers and member state officials in the Climate Change Committee for endorsement.
However, lawmakers are split in all three institutions on the proposal, which involves postponing the sale of permits until 2019-2020.
Coal-reliant Poland is trying to block the measure, while lawmakers in the biggest political party in Europe’s parliament, the European People’s Party, are split on the issue.
All three institutions need to approve the plan before it can become law.
Analysts said if the measure passes, carbon prices could surge from current levels of around 5 euros to back to double digits.
Without the plan ,and subsequent structural reform of the scheme to eventually retire the permits, prices will remain depressed under the weight of a surplus of up to 2 billion permits.
“The current carbon price will not stimulate low-carbon investments or innovation,” the letter from the 30 companies said.
By Andrew Allan – firstname.lastname@example.org
- Romania aims to exempt heavy industry from green energy costs 18 Apr 14 03:45
- EU carbon poised for 4 pct weekly gain on reduced supply 17 Apr 14 17:54
- Britain's Drax set to win 300 mln euro EU carbon capture cash 17 Apr 14 14:29
- China's Guangdong sells 680,000 carbon permits at 60 yuan each 17 Apr 14 12:08
- China's Chongqing to launch carbon market in May 17 Apr 14 11:08
- EU to host industry talks ahead of setting 2030 climate goals 16 Apr 14 21:35
- EU urges Germany to add polymer industry to carbon market 16 Apr 14 18:54
- EU carbon dips 1.1 pct after traders lock in gains near 3-week high 16 Apr 14 18:09
- Australia's greenhouse gas emissions fall 0.8 pct in 2013 16 Apr 14 04:25
- U.S. greenhouse gas emissions fall 10 pct since 2005 - EPA 16 Apr 14 02:02
- Brazil looks to swap World Cup publicity for carbon credits 16 Apr 14 01:49
- U.S. EPA studies whether to regulate methane from oil and gas 15 Apr 14 21:16
- U.S. appeals court upholds hazardous air pollution rule 15 Apr 14 21:06
- EIB completes carbon sales, raises 548 mln euros 15 Apr 14 18:44
- Germany renews calls for EU carbon market reform 15 Apr 14 17:54
- EU carbon up 6 pct after strong auction result 15 Apr 14 17:46
- U.N. carbon prices to remain at record lows until 2020 -Point Carbon 15 Apr 14 13:28
- Japan meets Kyoto gas emission targets with offsets 15 Apr 14 12:46
- UPDATE 1-China's Tianjin bans new steel, cement plants - report 15 Apr 14 04:10
- China set to elevate environment over development in new law 15 Apr 14 04:01
- California lawmaker scraps plan to replace carbon market with tax on fuels 15 Apr 14 03:18
- Four more EU states approved to swap U.N. carbon offsets for EUAs 14 Apr 14 18:11
- EU carbon dips 1.3 pct as permit sales near end 14 Apr 14 17:45
- City growth by almost 2 Manhattans a day said key to climate- UN 14 Apr 14 16:24
- EU states split on urgency of carbon market reform, presidency says 14 Apr 14 13:39
Most read news
Most read News last 7 days: