EU carbon rises 8 pct on strong energy prices
EU Allowances for delivery in December closed at 4.47 euros, up 32 cents on Friday’s settlement after briefly touching a three-week high of 4.59 euros.
Around 24 million EUAs of all vintages changed hands, including government auction volume, compared with a daily average so far in 2013 of around 34 million EUAs.
“There is a bullish energy complex and an absence of sellers. In this low liquidity it doesn’t take much to move the market,” a trader said.
The 2014 baseload German power contract traded at 41.24 euros/MWh on EEX, up 52 cents on Friday’s close, on the back of
strong UK gas prices that remained over 100 pence per therm for the day-ahead contract.
UK gas prices have soared in recent days, pushed higher by colder weather, supply disruptions and low levels of stored gas.
Earlier in the session, the European Union sold 3.5875 million phase three spot EUAs at 4.10 euros on German bourse EEX.
The sale attracted bids for 6.4 million units, giving it a bid to offer ratio of just 1.79, the lowest subscription rate for an EU auction this year.
“There might have been a weak auction result today, but it doesn’t really reflect the fact people don’t really want to sell,” a second trader said.
He said Monday’s activity marked a continuation of bullish buying seen last week, as traders sought to close out short positions on the back of optimism that the European Commission’s plans to prop up prices would succeed.
“There is a carry through of the short covering from last week, and its being supported by the other energy contracts,” the second trader said.
Carbon prices rose after Hungary, Lithuania and Slovenia last week threw their weight behind a proposal to withhold 900 million allowances from the EU Emissions Trading Scheme over the next three years.
In the secondary market for U.N.-backed carbon credits, the Dec-13 CER contract gained 2 cents to 33 cents.
By Susanna Twidale – firstname.lastname@example.org
- China carbon cash party over as U.N. credit stream dries up 23 Apr 14 03:15
- Parched California moves to boost water saving toilets, faucets 22 Apr 14 23:24
- Barclays to pull out of major commodities trading areas 22 Apr 14 17:57
- EU carbon extends 3-week high on healthy auction demand 22 Apr 14 17:22
- Stand-off throws Australia climate policy in disarray 22 Apr 14 11:07
- China's new environment law submitted to parliament 22 Apr 14 09:31
- Pipeline delay gives boost to Obama's political base 22 Apr 14 00:29
- China's carbon traders flock to Hubei in search of profits 21 Apr 14 11:46
- Australia's Palmer says won't back government climate plan - report 21 Apr 14 10:34
- China's Li says more major energy projects to start 21 Apr 14 03:17
- Romania aims to exempt heavy industry from green energy costs 18 Apr 14 03:45
- EU carbon poised for 4 pct weekly gain on reduced supply 17 Apr 14 17:54
- Britain's Drax set to win 300 mln euro EU carbon capture cash 17 Apr 14 14:29
- China's Guangdong sells 680,000 carbon permits at 60 yuan each 17 Apr 14 12:08
- China's Chongqing to launch carbon market in May 17 Apr 14 11:08
- EU to host industry talks ahead of setting 2030 climate goals 16 Apr 14 21:35
- EU urges Germany to add polymer industry to carbon market 16 Apr 14 18:54
- EU carbon dips 1.1 pct after traders lock in gains near 3-week high 16 Apr 14 18:09
- Australia's greenhouse gas emissions fall 0.8 pct in 2013 16 Apr 14 04:25
- U.S. greenhouse gas emissions fall 10 pct since 2005 - EPA 16 Apr 14 02:02
- Brazil looks to swap World Cup publicity for carbon credits 16 Apr 14 01:49
- U.S. EPA studies whether to regulate methane from oil and gas 15 Apr 14 21:16
- U.S. appeals court upholds hazardous air pollution rule 15 Apr 14 21:06
- EIB completes carbon sales, raises 548 mln euros 15 Apr 14 18:44
- Germany renews calls for EU carbon market reform 15 Apr 14 17:54
Most read news
Most read News last 7 days: