EU carbon rises 8 pct on strong energy prices
EU Allowances for delivery in December closed at 4.47 euros, up 32 cents on Friday’s settlement after briefly touching a three-week high of 4.59 euros.
Around 24 million EUAs of all vintages changed hands, including government auction volume, compared with a daily average so far in 2013 of around 34 million EUAs.
“There is a bullish energy complex and an absence of sellers. In this low liquidity it doesn’t take much to move the market,” a trader said.
The 2014 baseload German power contract traded at 41.24 euros/MWh on EEX, up 52 cents on Friday’s close, on the back of
strong UK gas prices that remained over 100 pence per therm for the day-ahead contract.
UK gas prices have soared in recent days, pushed higher by colder weather, supply disruptions and low levels of stored gas.
Earlier in the session, the European Union sold 3.5875 million phase three spot EUAs at 4.10 euros on German bourse EEX.
The sale attracted bids for 6.4 million units, giving it a bid to offer ratio of just 1.79, the lowest subscription rate for an EU auction this year.
“There might have been a weak auction result today, but it doesn’t really reflect the fact people don’t really want to sell,” a second trader said.
He said Monday’s activity marked a continuation of bullish buying seen last week, as traders sought to close out short positions on the back of optimism that the European Commission’s plans to prop up prices would succeed.
“There is a carry through of the short covering from last week, and its being supported by the other energy contracts,” the second trader said.
Carbon prices rose after Hungary, Lithuania and Slovenia last week threw their weight behind a proposal to withhold 900 million allowances from the EU Emissions Trading Scheme over the next three years.
In the secondary market for U.N.-backed carbon credits, the Dec-13 CER contract gained 2 cents to 33 cents.
By Susanna Twidale – email@example.com
- EU regulators seek to close car emissions testing loopholes 20 Aug 14 12:34
- EUAs hit new 5-month high as supply shortage continues to bite 19 Aug 14 16:37
- Guangdong adds 20 mln permits to China's biggest carbon market 19 Aug 14 04:19
- EU carbon dips after hitting five-month high 18 Aug 14 18:13
- UK govt, green bank to invest in 74 mln stg Scottish renewables plan 18 Aug 14 17:19
- Brazil makes progress on saving forests, Indonesia risks setbacks -report 18 Aug 14 06:43
- China's carbon plans: Secrecy and oversupply darken outlook 18 Aug 14 02:30
- EU carbon hits five-month high on light utility buying 15 Aug 14 15:15
- NZ carbon slumps to 3-mth low as buyers retreat 15 Aug 14 06:38
- Billions in oil investments at risk from low crude prices, says Carbon Tracker 15 Aug 14 02:42
- China's carbon intensity records biggest fall in 4 yrs 14 Aug 14 12:56
- South Korea carbon market to go ahead as planned -MOE spokeswoman 14 Aug 14 11:56
- UPDATE 3-Germany's RWE warns of supply risks as power crisis bite 14 Aug 14 08:56
- E.ON profit falls as weak rouble hits Russian business 13 Aug 14 18:25
- Kellogg's to set targets for suppliers to cut carbon emissions 13 Aug 14 13:51
- UPDATE 2-EU regulators say Germany, others, in breach of energy law 13 Aug 14 13:48
- Brazil bank BNDES outlines plans to finance solar power plants 13 Aug 14 08:00
- UPDATE 1-Germany's RWE considers idling another 1,000 MW of capacity 12 Aug 14 11:44
- Japan power firms gas use up 5 pct y/y to record high in July 12 Aug 14 11:27
- Beijing cuts coal use by 7 pct in H1 in anti-smog push 12 Aug 14 07:23
- Brazil readies big push on solar energy but companies are wary 11 Aug 14 23:18
- EU carbon prices rise 2.7 pct on short-covering 11 Aug 14 18:52
- Poland may back Commission's energy savings target if compensated: Korolec 11 Aug 14 12:29
- EU governments chase up unpaid airline emission fines 08 Aug 14 20:48
- EU carbon springs back from four-week low in volatile trade 08 Aug 14 19:58
Most read news
Most read News last 7 days: