EU carbon rises 8 pct on strong energy prices
EU Allowances for delivery in December closed at 4.47 euros, up 32 cents on Friday’s settlement after briefly touching a three-week high of 4.59 euros.
Around 24 million EUAs of all vintages changed hands, including government auction volume, compared with a daily average so far in 2013 of around 34 million EUAs.
“There is a bullish energy complex and an absence of sellers. In this low liquidity it doesn’t take much to move the market,” a trader said.
The 2014 baseload German power contract traded at 41.24 euros/MWh on EEX, up 52 cents on Friday’s close, on the back of
strong UK gas prices that remained over 100 pence per therm for the day-ahead contract.
UK gas prices have soared in recent days, pushed higher by colder weather, supply disruptions and low levels of stored gas.
Earlier in the session, the European Union sold 3.5875 million phase three spot EUAs at 4.10 euros on German bourse EEX.
The sale attracted bids for 6.4 million units, giving it a bid to offer ratio of just 1.79, the lowest subscription rate for an EU auction this year.
“There might have been a weak auction result today, but it doesn’t really reflect the fact people don’t really want to sell,” a second trader said.
He said Monday’s activity marked a continuation of bullish buying seen last week, as traders sought to close out short positions on the back of optimism that the European Commission’s plans to prop up prices would succeed.
“There is a carry through of the short covering from last week, and its being supported by the other energy contracts,” the second trader said.
Carbon prices rose after Hungary, Lithuania and Slovenia last week threw their weight behind a proposal to withhold 900 million allowances from the EU Emissions Trading Scheme over the next three years.
In the secondary market for U.N.-backed carbon credits, the Dec-13 CER contract gained 2 cents to 33 cents.
By Susanna Twidale – email@example.com
- South Korea delays smog tax amid pressure from car makers 02 Sep 14 08:19
- EU carbon prices edge higher as buyers return 01 Sep 14 18:33
- More cash for EU industry, eastern states in 2030 climate goals- draft 01 Sep 14 15:08
- China's national carbon market to start in 2016 -official 31 Aug 14 10:32
- Brazil presidential candidate Silva would put a price on carbon 30 Aug 14 01:15
- EU carbon dips as traders brace for supply spike 29 Aug 14 19:01
- No economic reason to delay climate action - global commission 29 Aug 14 16:07
- NZ carbon hits 11-week high on pre-election nerves 29 Aug 14 06:38
- Shenzhen carbon market allows trades to be settled in foreign currencies 29 Aug 14 04:36
- Power producer Duke Energy to retire coal-fired plants in Ohio 29 Aug 14 02:57
- EU carbon edges higher as fatter power profits lure bulls 28 Aug 14 18:56
- Warming aids Arctic economies but far short of "cold rush" 28 Aug 14 15:47
- Britain's coal power generation falls 19 pct in H1 28 Aug 14 13:04
- Global renewable energy expansion to slow to 2020 - IEA 28 Aug 14 11:34
- Australian report urges end to renewable energy target 28 Aug 14 11:30
- UK to give airlines 26.4 mln free CO2 permits for 2013-2016 27 Aug 14 14:06
- Germany needs coal to balance dependency on Russian gas -watchdog 27 Aug 14 12:27
- EU carbon prices slip on weak auction demand 26 Aug 14 18:18
- INTERVIEW-E.ON bets on investor help for wind power push 26 Aug 14 13:29
- EU carbon prices edge lower ahead of increased supply 25 Aug 14 18:49
- Small island states, facing rising seas, seek economic overhaul 25 Aug 14 15:00
- China to control price in air pollution market -State Council 25 Aug 14 10:25
- NZ carbon stuck in downward trend amid low demand 22 Aug 14 06:37
- California CO2 permits clear auction at $11.50 a tonne 22 Aug 14 01:01
- EU carbon slips on profit-taking ahead of increased auctions 21 Aug 14 18:20
Most read news
Most read News last 7 days: