EU carbon rises 8 pct on strong energy prices
EU Allowances for delivery in December closed at 4.47 euros, up 32 cents on Friday’s settlement after briefly touching a three-week high of 4.59 euros.
Around 24 million EUAs of all vintages changed hands, including government auction volume, compared with a daily average so far in 2013 of around 34 million EUAs.
“There is a bullish energy complex and an absence of sellers. In this low liquidity it doesn’t take much to move the market,” a trader said.
The 2014 baseload German power contract traded at 41.24 euros/MWh on EEX, up 52 cents on Friday’s close, on the back of
strong UK gas prices that remained over 100 pence per therm for the day-ahead contract.
UK gas prices have soared in recent days, pushed higher by colder weather, supply disruptions and low levels of stored gas.
Earlier in the session, the European Union sold 3.5875 million phase three spot EUAs at 4.10 euros on German bourse EEX.
The sale attracted bids for 6.4 million units, giving it a bid to offer ratio of just 1.79, the lowest subscription rate for an EU auction this year.
“There might have been a weak auction result today, but it doesn’t really reflect the fact people don’t really want to sell,” a second trader said.
He said Monday’s activity marked a continuation of bullish buying seen last week, as traders sought to close out short positions on the back of optimism that the European Commission’s plans to prop up prices would succeed.
“There is a carry through of the short covering from last week, and its being supported by the other energy contracts,” the second trader said.
Carbon prices rose after Hungary, Lithuania and Slovenia last week threw their weight behind a proposal to withhold 900 million allowances from the EU Emissions Trading Scheme over the next three years.
In the secondary market for U.N.-backed carbon credits, the Dec-13 CER contract gained 2 cents to 33 cents.
By Susanna Twidale – email@example.com
- Quebec sells over 2.7 mln carbon-emission permits at C$10.75 a tonne 06 Dec 13 19:01
- Latest Northeast U.S. carbon permit sales net $115 million 06 Dec 13 17:28
- UK, France, Germany attack EU aircraft carbon plan 06 Dec 13 10:56
- NZ carbon flat as rule changes fail to impress 06 Dec 13 05:46
- New Zealand to ban use of some UN carbon credits from 2015 06 Dec 13 04:34
- United States to help China crack down on vehicle emissions 05 Dec 13 22:07
- White House directs U.S. agencies to double renewable energy use by 2020 05 Dec 13 19:50
- Major companies plan for U.S. carbon emissions fee, report says 05 Dec 13 17:52
- EU carbon jumps 4 pct on market intervention comments 05 Dec 13 17:37
- REUTERS POLL-Analysts lower EU carbon price forecasts 05 Dec 13 17:00
- Britain slashes carbon permit revenue forecast by 57 pct 05 Dec 13 16:46
- UK only European power market with rising prices in 2014: Credit Suisse 05 Dec 13 13:44
- Backloading to begin by May 2014: UK official 05 Dec 13 12:50
- EU carbon permit auction clears at 4.49 eur/t-trader 05 Dec 13 11:07
- Renewables' share of new power capacity in China surpasses 50 pct 05 Dec 13 05:38
- Australia's carbon fund a windfall for big polluters - analysts 05 Dec 13 03:21
- EU carbon steady as traders prepare for vote next week 04 Dec 13 17:33
- UK power squeeze avoided as tougher coal rules rejected 04 Dec 13 16:57
- EU OKs Bulgarian plan to give utilities free CO2 permits 04 Dec 13 14:22
- U.N. launches Green Climate Fund with little in its coffers 04 Dec 13 09:31
- Steel lobby Eurofer urges EU to review energy, climate policy 04 Dec 13 06:00
- Second Obama environmental adviser to step down 03 Dec 13 23:39
- EU carbon prices edge down in thin trade 03 Dec 13 18:45
- EU’s biggest party to vote against carbon market supply cut: MEP 03 Dec 13 11:23
- EU carbon permit auction clears at 4.47 eur/t-trader 03 Dec 13 11:04
Most read news
Most read News last 7 days: