EU carbon rises 8 pct on strong energy prices
EU Allowances for delivery in December closed at 4.47 euros, up 32 cents on Friday’s settlement after briefly touching a three-week high of 4.59 euros.
Around 24 million EUAs of all vintages changed hands, including government auction volume, compared with a daily average so far in 2013 of around 34 million EUAs.
“There is a bullish energy complex and an absence of sellers. In this low liquidity it doesn’t take much to move the market,” a trader said.
The 2014 baseload German power contract traded at 41.24 euros/MWh on EEX, up 52 cents on Friday’s close, on the back of
strong UK gas prices that remained over 100 pence per therm for the day-ahead contract.
UK gas prices have soared in recent days, pushed higher by colder weather, supply disruptions and low levels of stored gas.
Earlier in the session, the European Union sold 3.5875 million phase three spot EUAs at 4.10 euros on German bourse EEX.
The sale attracted bids for 6.4 million units, giving it a bid to offer ratio of just 1.79, the lowest subscription rate for an EU auction this year.
“There might have been a weak auction result today, but it doesn’t really reflect the fact people don’t really want to sell,” a second trader said.
He said Monday’s activity marked a continuation of bullish buying seen last week, as traders sought to close out short positions on the back of optimism that the European Commission’s plans to prop up prices would succeed.
“There is a carry through of the short covering from last week, and its being supported by the other energy contracts,” the second trader said.
Carbon prices rose after Hungary, Lithuania and Slovenia last week threw their weight behind a proposal to withhold 900 million allowances from the EU Emissions Trading Scheme over the next three years.
In the secondary market for U.N.-backed carbon credits, the Dec-13 CER contract gained 2 cents to 33 cents.
By Susanna Twidale – firstname.lastname@example.org
- California to begin selling CO2 permits with Quebec in November 20 Sep 14 01:37
- EU carbon tops 6 euros as buyers lend support 19 Sep 14 19:43
- Obama to tout US climate plan at UN summit 19 Sep 14 19:00
- NZ carbon dips slightly as election looms 19 Sep 14 08:57
- China cautious on fresh commitments ahead of climate change summit 19 Sep 14 07:53
- Germany to cut support for overseas coal plants 18 Sep 14 15:20
- Guangdong to auction 2 mln carbon permits on Sept 26 18 Sep 14 14:00
- Global investors urge leaders to act on carbon pricing ahead of U.N. meeting 18 Sep 14 13:51
- White House proposes new energy efficiency rule in climate push 18 Sep 14 13:43
- China to consider requests to issue carbon offsets next week 18 Sep 14 11:54
- Green aid test for UN climate summit as poor seek $15 bln 18 Sep 14 11:14
- White House partners with industry to tackle greenhouse gas 17 Sep 14 17:51
- Britain sells 2.7m spot EUAAs for 5.20 euros each 17 Sep 14 11:41
- U.S. extends comment period on power plant carbon rule to December 17 Sep 14 05:04
- Lawmakers to test EU's 5-bln euro carbon permit giveaway 16 Sep 14 20:22
- EU carbon falls to 6-week low on weaker power, technical selling 16 Sep 14 19:32
- Slowing climate change makes economic sense; cities to lead- study 16 Sep 14 11:18
- European investment hinges on new EU team- Voestalpine CEO 15 Sep 14 18:42
- EU carbon slips below 6 euros on utility demand fears 15 Sep 14 18:35
- Barclays' lead carbon trader joins former colleague's new firm 15 Sep 14 13:43
- China plans cut in wind-power subsidies -business newspaper 15 Sep 14 10:20
- Big firms brace for global carbon price rollout -report 15 Sep 14 07:48
- Development banks pledge to step up climate action 12 Sep 14 16:08
- Warmer air caused ice shelf collapse off Antarctica 12 Sep 14 15:59
- NZ carbon rallies on U.N. offset cut-off expectations 12 Sep 14 06:27
Most read news
Most read News last 7 days: